If your records were lost or damaged in the storm, here are some suggestions on how to reconstruct them so you can file insurance claims, support tax deductions, or apply for government aid.
- Look through catalogs or online to estimate the fair market value of damaged or destroyed items.
- Consult a car dealer, search online or go to your local library to determine the current value of vehicles.
- Check with your county property tax assessor to determine the value of land versus building values.
- Get a copy of the escrow papers for your home from your real estate agent, the title company, the escrow company, or the bank that handled the purchase or refinance.
- Contact lenders or contractors to determine the value of any home improvements you’ve made.
- File Form 4506, Request for Copy or Transcript of Tax Form, with the IRS to obtain previous federal income tax returns. A small fee may be charged for this service. If someone else prepared your tax returns, contact that person to request copies.